Historical circuit of Town
History of washing
Oskar Schindler


Upper part of the square

The widest part of the town centre, náměstí Míru (Peace Square), was witness to important events that played a decisive role in the history of the town.

Parades, demonstrations, and ceremonial events were held here. The square has gone through a long list of names: Market, Town, Adolf Hitler, Marshal Stalin, and currently Peace. Not much of the original low civic houses have been preserved today. The square was the site of frenetic building activity beginning in the 19th century. A school (1878), savings bank (1902), and department stores were built; houses in the upper part were razed and even Socialist architecture found a place on the newly vacant parcels. The square was reconstructed between 1993 and 1994 and even the unattractive Svitavan House from 1973 disappeared. The building of the state prosecutor was given a new appearance. The St. Florian Fountain from 1783 had to be relocated during the reconstruction and the central part of the square is dominated by the Marian pillar and a table with the signs of the zodiac.

Copyright © Městské muzeum a galerie ve Svitavách 2018