Historical circuit of Town
History of washing
Oskar Schindler


Town Court Hotel

In the 18th century the roadside inn Zur Goldene Krone was built on the site of a former house with brewing rights.

King Friedrich II of Prussia (Friedrich the Great) stayed in the inn in 1758 during the period of the military conflict with Austrian Empress Maria Theresa. No further information is known on the building until the end of the 19th century; the house changed hands but in 1896 was bought by Svitavy entrepreneur and town mayor Johann Budig. Budig completely rebuilt the house, added a luxury restaurant, hotel rooms, and a fabulous mirrored ballroom which became the cultural centre of the town for many years. Films were even shown in the ballroom. Johann Budig decided to donate the reconstructed building, renamed the Town Court Hotel, to Svitavy. After the Second World War the building became the property of the company Restaurants and Cafeterias, which then sold it off to a private owner. The building was entirely devastated, including the hotel interior and the famous ballroom. Today the building has been partially restored and is used for commercial purposes.

Copyright © Městské muzeum a galerie ve Svitavách 2018