CZ
EN
DE
Historical circuit of Town
History of washing
Oskar Schindler
Domů




31


School on the square

Lessons began in the renovated Anna Tempes House in 1873. The first students were girls, followed later by boys, but it was soon clear that a larger space would be needed.


The town of Svitavy tried to purchase the adjacent buildings and in 1877 the Brno builder and architect Karel Frieml introduced plans to construct an entirely new school building. The school was designed with a Neo-Renaissance appearance and construction work began in the spring of 1878. The school was intended for boys and was attended by both the general public as well as upper class children. In 1888 a gymnasium was added to the school; later a rear wing was also built. The boys' school on the square lasted until 1945 but lessons continued to be taught in the building. The building was given landmark status and the original commemorative plaque on the founding of the school installed in the school auditorium was even restored.

Copyright © Městské muzeum a galerie ve Svitavách 2018